Spednic Lake Park Host
Employment period: 19 May – 5 September 2014
Location: Spednic Lake Provincial Park, near St. Croix, NB
Remuneration: bi-weekly, salary $5600, free campsite
Application deadline: April 23, 2014
The St. Croix International Waterway Commission is a non-profit organization that protects and manages the St. Croix watershed, which forms the boundary between Maine and New Brunswick. During the summer months, the SCIWC manages public access points, boat launches, and campsites on behalf of the NB Department of Natural Resources and the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands. The majority of these campsites are free for users, outside of three provincial parks now managed by the SCIWC.
The SCIWC is seeking a responsible, mature individual to act as a Park Host at Spednic Lake Provincial Park. This is a paid position, operating during the camping season from Victoria Day to Labour Day. This position operates on a Thursday to Monday work week, and you will be required to work all weekends and public holidays during the season.
Your tasks will include (but are not limited to):
• Greeting campsite users as they arrive, checking their reservations (or collecting reservation information for those without), and directing them to their sites; informing users of site rules and facilities
• Greeting day site users, keeping roadways and the boat launch clear and ensuring users park in appropriate spaces;
• Keeping information boards up to date;
• Keeping toilet facilities clean and stocked;
• Selling firewood and maps to users;
• Removing garbage and litter;
• General campsite maintenance to ensure sites are clean and safe;
• Communication via radio with SCIWC staff;
• Keeping records of sales, activities, and reservations;
• Working with other SCIWC staff as required.
Desired Skills and Experience
We are ideally looking for someone who has the following skills and experience:
• Ability to work remotely and independently with minimal supervision
• First Aid training
• Familiar with operating handheld radio equipment
• Physically fit
• Enjoys working with members of the public
• Excellent customer service skills
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Excellent verbal communication skills
• Basic carpentry and maintenance skills
• Knowledge of the St. Croix River system (recreation, culture, history)
• Knowledge of US and Canadian marine reporting requirements, customs laws
• Valid driver’s licence
• Own method of transportation
• Valid passport and ability to travel freely to the US
• Experience handling cash financial transactions
A current, clean criminal record check will be required in order to commence employment.
Remuneration and Benefits
This position is salary-based. You will be paid bi-weekly upon submission of an activities report. You will be responsible for transportation to and from work from your home. If you use your personal vehicle for work (moving materials, attending meetings, acquiring supplies, etc.) you will be paid mileage upon submission of an expense claim.
The SCIWC will provide you with the training and equipment you need to do your job safely and competently. This includes maintenance equipment, communications equipment, campsite supplies, signs, and all reporting materials. You will also be supplied with a staff handbook outlining safety procedures and organization protocol. If you would like to camp at the Park during your employment, arrangements can be made for a site free of charge.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter describing why you are applying and how you meet our needs, along with a current resume, to:
Abby Pond, Executive Director
St. Croix International Waterway Commission
PO Box 2, St. Stephen, NB E3L 2W9
Or via email to:
Or in person at:
9 Marks Street, St. Stephen, NB.
Applications without a cover letter specific to this position will not be accepted. The SCIWC thanks all those who apply; however, only those successful in reaching the interview stage will be contacted.