Do I have to make a reservation?

posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:16 AM by G-Suite Manager   [ updated Sep 2, 2015, 5:55 PM ]

We take reservations for our three campgrounds at Spednic Lake, Scott Brook, and Gravel Island from May through August.  While you do not need to make a reservation before you arrive, please be aware that these three campgrounds are often booked months in advance and may be full, particularly on weekends and holidays. If you'd like to avoid disappointment, we recommend making a reservation for these sites. 

If you plan on staying at our river and lake-only access sites in Maine or New Brunswick, you do not have to make a reservation. Keep in mind that most of our sites are occupied during weekends and holidays; we recommend that those looking for a quiet wilderness experience visit during the week. 

Do I have to let Customs know that I am going on the water?

posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:38 AM by G-Suite Manager

In short, yes. You must also begin and end your trip in the same country, without making landfall on the opposite shore. 

If you are American citizens, beginning and ending your trip in the US, follow the instructions on the USBP website, here. We suggest that you send a trip plan to the nearest US Customs office in advance of your trip, to speed things along. So long as you do not visit a "foreign port," make landfall in Canada, or meet other boats mid-stream, you'll be fine. You can also cross over to Canada and make your trip entirely on the Canadian side.

If you are Canadian citizens, you can begin and end your trip on Canadian soil or US soil. Before your trip, report to Fosterville, St. Stephen or St. Andrews wharf, or call the Marine Telephone Reporting Centre at 1-888-226-7277. They are going to ask you questions, so be prepared. Visit CBSA's webpage on reporting so you have the information you need. 

If you are a frequent boater, we strongly suggest applying for the appropriate program (I-68 or CANPASS) to speed up the process. 

We also suggest that you contact the appropriate border agency if you have any questions or concerns about your trip at all. We want you to enjoy the St. Croix, safely and legally.

Can I book a campsite for the whole season?

posted Apr 23, 2013, 8:30 AM by G-Suite Manager   [ updated Sep 2, 2015, 5:56 PM ]

At Spednic Lake Provincial Park, we offer selected sites to campers who are looking to book for longer periods of time. The monthly rate for these sites is $382.50, and the rate for the entire season (Victoria Day to Labour Day) is $1080. 

If you are interested in a long-term booking, please contact Karen at (506)466-7550. 

The SCIWC will be making long-term bookings to allocated sites via a draw in the Spring of 2016.  Those successful in the draw will be notified immediately.

If an allocated site is not booked as a seasonal site, it will become available for daily reservations. This new method of allocating long-term bookings was adopted to create transparency and ensure fairness.

We always have a few drinks on the river, but I've heard that I can be fined for this. Is that true?

posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:36 AM by G-Suite Manager   [ updated Sep 2, 2015, 5:59 PM ]

It is true. The St. Croix system is a public place under Maine law, and drinking in public is prohibited.

If you are on the water, regardless of whether you are a Canadian or a Canadian citizen, the Maine Warden Service can and will give you a ticket. You can view further information at:

It's the holiday weekend. Can I set off fireworks?

posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:25 AM by G-Suite Manager   [ updated Sep 2, 2015, 5:57 PM ]

All campsites on the St. Croix system are public campsites (state of Maine or province of NB) and it is therefore illegal to set off fireworks from within our parks and campsites

Why do you charge campsite fees?

posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:10 AM by G-Suite Manager   [ updated Sep 2, 2015, 6:00 PM ]

The SCIWC is a non-profit organization. We clean up the campsites, maintain the firepits, picnic tables, and toilets. We ensure the campsites are safe, that firewood is available. We keep the riverbanks clean and safe to access. We maintain and provide signs, information on the river, road access, and more. 

We also work with provincial and state governments to keep the river open to recreational users. We work hard to ensure that the outstanding water quality of the lakes and river. We help create conservation areas, trails, and heritage information. We work with governments to ensure that you can legally enjoy recreational activities on the lakes and river. 

All of this work requires funding, and campsite fees are an important part of that. These fees support the local economy by providing work for our seasonal staff, and contractors with portions of the maintenance work. Without the hard work of our staff, the St. Croix would be a very different place. We thank you for supporting our work through campsite fees, and through donations.

Can I camp on both sides of the river?

posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:04 AM by G-Suite Manager   [ updated Sep 2, 2015, 6:01 PM ]

No. This is not possible since border policies were updated following 2001 terrorist attacks. The St. Croix River is an international border. 

There are ample sites on both sides of the river, and portages on each side, that allow you to make your trip while going to shore only in one country.  It is important that you launch, go to shore, camp, portage and take out in the same country only. If you go to shore, you are entering another country and are responsible for reporting to the appropriate Customs authority; failure to do so may result in arrest. The riverbanks and river are patrolled by Customs agents. See our Trip Planning section for information.

I want to reserve a site. How do I do it?

posted Feb 27, 2013, 1:01 PM by G-Suite Manager   [ updated Sep 2, 2015, 6:02 PM ]

We begin taking reservations approximately a month before our opening date. See the Recreation section for specific dates. 
You can reserve sites for the upcoming season in one of three ways:

Where can I camp?

posted Feb 1, 2013, 6:13 AM by G-Suite Manager   [ updated Sep 2, 2015, 6:03 PM ]

The SCIWC maintains over 60 campsites from Monument Brook to the mouth of the river. We suggest you visit our Trip planning section to learn more about which campsites are best for your specific trip. 

Do I need to bring my passport?

posted Jan 31, 2013, 7:21 AM by G-Suite Manager

We strongly recommend that you bring your passport, NEXUS card, or at the very least photo ID. Invest in a waterproof storage container of some kind for your important ID and make sure it is secured to your boat or your person so it won't be lost. 
Since 2001 recreational users of the St. Croix are required to practice "One Country Camping." This means you can only land in, and camp in, the country in which you began your trip. See our Planning your trip section or call us for more information.

1-10 of 11